Whether your dream home is new construction or an existing home, you will want to know what to look for as you begin your home search. The list below and your Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage affiliated sales associate will help you conduct a home search, negotiate, and close on a new home.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage, look into credit report, type of mortgage, shop for best rates, and programs.
- Determine your wants and needs: style of home, size, price, location
- Seek out a Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Realtor. Compare the services of different agents and look for good personal chemistry
- Check out the neighborhoods, schools, crime rate, traffic, zoning, and work commutes
- Rely on your independent sales associate’s expertise and in-company resources.
- Check the Web for helpful information
- Do the due diligence and research on your property of interest
- Visit or have your independent agent visit the town or city hall to learn of any zoning changes, liens, easements, or other restrictions.
- Prepare the offer and negotiate
- Have your sales associate prepare a property value study and ask the seller if there are any other offers and his motivation for selling, deadlines, etc.
- Conduct the home inspections and other inspections
- Take advantage of the inspection contingencies in your offer and get thorough inspections to eliminate any surprises after you move in to your new home.
- Final negotiations
- Use the inspection report to re-negotiate, if necessary.
- Walk-through inspection prior to closing
- Visit your new home before you sit down at the closing table to make sure everything is as you expect it to be.